The stolen glance.

 'I remember as people roughly cued by to get on the train we looked at each other for a short instance and smiled before she shied her glance away looking down at her shoes or just the floor, I couldn't make out. I was too grasped by the sweetness of it all. Before I knew it - all the people including her had boarded the train; for then I lost her sight, but once inside I tried to casually look for her. Trying to satisfy myself into thinking that it's okay to look around for a stranger like this but failing, thus shuffling my pockets and fixing my coat in a queer manner and soon quitting it to stand still upon realizing how dumb it might come off as. As quickly as my consciousness moved about from finding that girl to fixing my outlook - she appeared. And the  thoughts reversed rapidly from simply fixing my appearance to doing it for her. Something felt poetic about the situation as I saw her eyes too quietly trying to find someone - Or so I like to think what that was. As she placed a wisp of her hairs behind her ear an unclear tattoo appeared parallel to the lobule. Apparently, a word was scribbled in tiny letters, too diminutive for me to read.

  While I tried to observe more of her she caught sight of me. Hopefully unaware of how I was gazing her pretty face - those hard to resist doughy eyes rested upon her slightly worn out crimson cheeks; exposing the winter harshness they've experienced, and the unclad puffy lips paired with that snub nose, all adding up to a simple yet an attractive structure. I found myself staring. To divert the guilt in me, I took my Iphone out, upside down, not cognizant then - but when she stood to walk towards me and I had to pretend doing something indulging on it. To not make a fool out of myself I quickly tucked my phone away, cleared my throat and started to look out the train. What was I do if she approached me? Smile? Talk?. She was nearing me rather fast in my head than I suppose actually.

 Questions and counter questions filled my mind; when suddenly she tripped, due to collision with another passenger I suppose, and hit me. I just heard an exchange of apologies as she held on to a pole tightly and went to standing straight, a slight two steps away. A few minutes passed and  I realized she was checking me out from the corner of her eye. At which point, we both officially recognized each others presence. She promptly looked straight and a suppressed grin appeared on her oval face, making it plumpy. That eased me up and I chucked a little. Her grin grew broader. With that I had enough confidence to walk up to her. She clutched her purse and put it on her left. I assume it to be a signal of positive welcome and so I slid onto her right. We talked'



 Just then the train arrived breaking James chain of thoughts. He got up to board it. That incident, three months ago replayed in his mind at every odd train station. He idly sat on the seat right next to the train door. The train moved and he started to think, again.

 'I lied about my station stop just to enjoy her company a little longer. I didn't catch her destined station but it was somewhere a little far than I can afford to travel. I was way past my house or else I had it in my mind to drop off only at her station,see her off, felt more courteous. She told me her name was Bethany. Somehow we started to talk about movies,then actors and as I started to get comfortable I did a few impressions - bad impressions; least it got her to laugh. Between everything our conversation came to a halt when the next station came to sight and someone's phone rang in the crowd rang. There were only a few people and with us not conversing, the silence really highlighted. The ringing phone reminded more to me than just the silence, it gave me the brilliant idea of asking for her number.

"You surely have a cell? Of-course you do" reverting back immediately " Can  I have your number?" I said. 'Is that how you ask for a number! You dim-witted ass' I thought to myself. Too embarrassed in my head to notice her reaction. She looked surprised, though I could not guess if it was good or bad. I was not going to let go of this opportunity and so I moved my left hand to pick my phone out.

"Listen" She said. Looking as if trying to compose her astonishment. I was afraid I scared her but then she held my right hand. Clutched it gently.

"This is my station. I did not realize. I need to go"

 I froze and stopped all I was doing, including the process call 'thinking'. She walked hurriedly out as the gates closed. If she had taken 3 more seconds to recognize her station, she would have stayed. Oh, how I so wished. I got up to get a last look. Hoping she would least stick to give me a final good-bye look. I walked towards the back of the train. Peeked out the window and saw her walk past. It did not disappoint me so much as I thought about the lateness of the hour and how it was more appropriate for her to leave quickly.

 Until I saw her stop. Two rugged men paused in front of her and starting talking. It was an alerting view for me. I was afraid for her. The train started moving, slowly. I would have shouted if not I saw Bethany reciprocating with more calmness than that can depict fear. She took her purse off her shoulder, starting emptying its content out and giving them to the shrewd heavy build guys. I was apprehensive and confused. She was giving all sorts of stuff. Small stuffs; I couldn't make out what they were, chains, phones ; a few of them all of different types ranging from fancy to nominal ones. Before It struck me, the train had moved a long away along. She looked back at it. Whether for me or not. I could not make out. That was the last of her I saw.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Try

A desire to be a smile maker.

Wish: Animated treasure.